Intermediate Moves In The Field Test Narrative Story

 Imagine yourself waking up at 5:40 in the morning, when it is still dark outside and not even the birds are up. Well, that’s my current situation, except I'm in the car and heading to the ice rink - at 6 in the morning. I had to take my Intermediate Moves in The Field, the 5th out of 8 tests in the US figure skating track. I felt somewhat prepared, yet I was just so incredibly nervous.

The car ride there passed a little too fast for my liking. One second I had just stepped out of the house, and the next, poof!, magically at the ice rink. The specific rink I was testing at was around 25 minutes away, and was the place I tested my previous test at. It’s called the Toyota Performance Sports Center. I know, such a high-ranked sounding name. Speaking of the rink, after driving in the meer darkness for almost half an hour, my mom and I finally turned the corner which led to the entrance of the rink. Still dark outside, I started heading in to start my 30 min practice ice session just to warm all my skills up pre-test. 

I met my coach inside, just getting ready to go onto the ice.

“Good morning, Yani,” she said with an assuring smile.

We then headed onto the ice together, feeling and bending into it.

Once 30 minutes passed, I heard the small ding, which signaled the end of the session and the start of a new “event.” At this point, if you can’t tell, I always dread testing, it just puts me under too much pressure. 

Tests started with the lower levels, so I had some time to rest before getting back on the ice. No joke, at this point, I was shaking so hard something inside of me must have exploded. 

Then, somehow, I was back on the ice, starting my 5 minute warm-up right before my test. I was shaking so hard it affected most of my skills, making them wobbly and slow. I kept trying to reassure myself, and tried telling myself it would be a whole lot worse if I worried so much.

After what seemed like the longest 5 minutes of my life, the warm-up was over, and I waited for 1 other skater to test before me. It was a young boy, probably around the age of 9 or 10, which definitely helped my confidence! Now, I never found out if he passed or not but judging by the solid look, they were pretty good and definitely passable. Well, once he finished and got the ok from the judges, he headed out the rink while I headed on, still shaking. 

Stopping in front of the judge’s “box,” where the judges were sitting, I tried to give a slight smile. 

“Hi Yani, you are taking your Intermediate skating skills test, correct?” The judge towards the left asked.

“Yes,” I replied.

“Alright, if any time you forget the order feel free to come to us, good luck!,” He said back, all three of them now smiling.

I then skated off to my starting point, and began my skills. 

First, I executed backwards double 3-turns, then a spiral pattern, then a bracket pattern, then twizzles, and finally a slide chase pattern. 

“Thank you,” the judges said as I finished my chases and headed off the ice. 

I felt okay about my test, I just know I was not as powerful or confident as I have been performing during practice. 

My coach also felt like I had done alright, passable at least. 


After the next skater tested, I finally got my results back. Shaking so intensely hard, I didn't even want to know my results, what if I failed? I had never failed a moves test before, this better not be the first.

“Nope,” my coach finally said, after analyzing the papers.

I felt my heart sink, I had trained so hard for this test, practicing morning, night, off the ice. All for nothing.

She then handed me the papers, and I reluctantly took them. I tell you, when I get upset I am UPSET. As we headed up the stairs into the warm overhead viewing of the rink, she tried cheering me up, but obviously it didn’t work. I guess my feelings were reflected as my body language too, as a random women told me 

“you looked great out there,” while I was untying my skates.

“Thank you,” I tried to say in a kind voice without crying. 

After my mom talked with my coach for a little, we left on a “make sure to throw the papers away! Straight garbage!” note from my coach.

My sadness didn’t last long, however, it soon turned into anger. I stomped down another set of stairs, making sure to put as much force into my steps as possible. Cursing under my breath, I threw the car door open and slammed it as hard as I could. Of course, that didn’t make my mom very happy, so she gave me one of her warnings. Well, that was to the least of my worries right now. 

We stopped for gas on the way home, which just made me anticipate going home even more. I sat lower than ever in my seat, my mom outside pumping the gas. 

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, we headed home, my mom still mad at my little tantrum. 

The second I stepped foot home, I ran straight to my bed, ignoring my dad’s calls, and storming into my room, waking up my sister. I pulled my covers over my head and began to cry, harder than ever. There was no way to explain it, it was the hardest I had cried in a long time. Feeling much disappointment in myself, I threw my test papers to the other side of my room, and let my face marinate in my own tears.

About 20 minutes later, my tears starting to slow down, my mom walked into my room. I was scared to even look up, feeling she would still be mad at me. Yet she had a slightly sad look, which confused me. 

“Yani, you skated beautifully today, pass or not, your coach and I are extremely proud of your performance and progress. I know it feels terrible right now, but take this as your opportunity to grow and bounce back, and show the judges who the champion is.”

For a few moments, I let that sink in. I knew I should have been aware of this long ago, yet this was the first time it meant something. It had felt as if a spark inside of me had broken, and her words helped ease the faded presence. 

“I love you, mom”

“I love you more, Yani.”


That night, as I went to bed, I still had her words on my mind. “Bounce back.” “grow.” “champion.” 

From this moment on, I decided I would show everyone whos the boss, and try my best not to let events or people hack into my body and control my emotions. They were mine and only mine.



Comments

Popular Posts

Ice skating - Michelle Kwan

Chinese New Year