High School Research

 Recently, I have done some research about high schools in/around my school district. My final decision will be made this coming winter, so I thought it would be a good idea to get a sense of the different schools I am able to go to, what they offer, and how the other students are there. These are just the five schools that I would most likely go to, and are also my personal preference.

  1. M. HS


Pros

Cons

  • Closest HS to my middle school (relatively closer to home & mom work office)

  • QUEST Program (Accelerated, good program to get into large colleges)

  • High amount of AP classes 

  • Over 97% of teachers have 3+ years of teaching experience


  • Low rating on GreatSchools (6/10)

  • Many students (3,400+) (25:1 ratio)

  • Ranked 486 in state high schools

  • State test scores below average


  1. S. HS


Pros

Cons

  • Rated 12 in CA high schools

  • Somewhat drive from home

  • Rated 10/10 on GreatSchools

  • All state/AP test scores above state average

  • Only 402 students (19:1 ratio)

Great GreatSchool reviews

  • Main pathway : Math & Science

  • Few AP class choices



  1. C. HS


Pros

Cons

  • Rated 2 in CA high schools (1st in LBUSD)

  • Great AP/state testing scores

  • Good amount of AP class options

  • Little amount of students, 669

  • Rated 10/10 on GreatSchools

  • Great Greatschool reviews

  • Almost 45% low-income students

  • Somewhat farther away from home and mom work

  • Little amount of teachers (?) (27:1 ratio with low amount of students)

  • Main pathway : Math and Science


  1. P. HS


Pros

Cons

  • Many AP & STEM class opportunities available

  • Accelerated program (PACE)

  • High proficiency in reading on state/AP testing

  • Rated 456 in state high schools

  • Low rating on GreatSchools (5/10)

  • Over 4,000 students (24:1 ratio)

  • Farther from home and mom work (around 20 mins)

  • Test scores near state average

  • More focused and better at sporting and athletics

  • Oldest HS in Long Beach


  1. W. HS

Pros

Cons

  • High performance on english state tests

  • Good amount of AP class options

  • Low ranking on GreatSchools (5/10)

  • Around 61% of students are low-income

  • State testing (math & science) below state average)

  • Over 3,600 students (23:1 ratio)

  • Slightly farther from home

  • Main pathway (more focused on) : Arts



After finishing my research, I placed each school on which one I now think is the best for me and my career, so these schools are also in the order I am likely to attend. Overall, I feel that I have a much better understanding of my school choices, and am excited for my coming school year, and seeing which high school I eventually decide to attend.

Comments

Popular Posts

Ice skating - Michelle Kwan

Chinese New Year