Pi Day Research

 For my history class, we are given the task to write a paragraph every other week about different topics which we take interest in. For this week, I chose to write about Pi and it's own holiday, Pi Day. I had a lot of fun researching about pi and overall love how we have the chance to choose different topics we are interested in.

After reading the Newsela.com article, “What is Pi Day”, I have gained new insights and understandings about the the Pi Holiday, along with its uses in mathematics.  According to the article, the official “pi day” takes place on March 14, every year. I did not know that this was even a holiday, but think it is very creative and cool how the month and day make the first up 3 (and most commonly known) digits of pi. This day also happens to be Albert Einstein’s birthday, which makes pi day even more fitting, as he was exceptional in math. Another thing I learned while reading this article are the things people do to celebrate pi day. According to the text, the math holiday is celebrated with parades, eating pies, and even pi themed races and games. I think it is cool how people host parades for math related events, as it shows that people who like math do exist in the world. As I had no idea what pi day was at the beginning of 2022, I did not celebrate, but am hoping to at least eat some pie in 2023, as math is my favorite subject. All in all, after reading the Newsela article about  pi day, I have gained greater understanding of how people celebrate.

Comments

Popular Posts

Ice skating - Michelle Kwan

Chinese New Year