My Preliminary MIF (Moves in the field) Test

On 2-21-21, I tested for my Preliminary MIF test. It was my first time testing for the Preliminary test and I was pretty nervous. My friend also was testing but she was testing for her Pre-Preliminary test. I have been working on this test for a pretty long time and I really wanted to be done with it.

On the day of my test, I woke up and got changed into my black dress. We were required to wear a dark colored skating dress and I had one from the previous test I had taken.

 When I got to the rink, I met up with my coach and my friend. We did an off ice warm up to warm our bodies up. We then got our skates on and walked around to get used to the feeling. Soon after, we had our 5 minute on ice warm up. My coach taught me a specific warm up we had to do since the real test should take 10 minutes. After our warm up we watched 1 girl take her test and then it was my turn to test with 2 other girls I didn’t know. Almost everyone there were teenagers and I felt tiny. My test only took 7 minutes and I tried to go fast and have power like I did in practice.

After my test, I watched my friend take her test and I got my result after. I had passed my test! This judging system was new to me and had numbers from -3 to +3. On 5 of the moves I had gotten a 0 or average level but on one move I had gotten a +1 which means above average. When my friend finished, she had gotten her score and she had passed as well! This meant that she would be working on the test I had just passed and I would be working on the next test which is Pre-Juvenile. 

The next time I went to skate, I learned the new test and had memorized it in that day. This test was harder for sure and there were a lot of familiar moves. Most of them I was pretty strong at already but I needed a lot more work on my backward circle 8. 

In my opinion, this test isn’t super hard but the judges are very specific on what they are looking for. One of the moves made me nervous because I had struggled on it sometimes in practice. After my test, I was really happy I passed and I am excited to work on the next test.


Comments

Popular Posts

Ice skating - Michelle Kwan

Chinese New Year