Adorable Sea Otters


This year I went to a sleepover at the Aquarium of the Pacific. I saw lots of cool animals but the sea otters caught my attention the most. I did some research on them and the facts surprised me a lot!

Aquarium Facts
At the Aquarium I learned a lot of epic things. An amazing fact is that if you make a circle with your pointer finger and your thumb, that has about 1 million otter hairs/fur! That is because where the otter’s regular habitat is, it is very cold. Also sea otters have this much fur because they do not have any blubber.

 By observing my friends and I noticed that the otters spend lots of time outside the water, but when they are in the water they are very playful. Also I saw that otters like to play with other otters.

Research Facts
According to my research sea otters can live their whole life in the water! A very cool fact is that to prevent otters drifting away they hold each other’s paws. They also sometimes wrap themselves in seaweed to prevent floating away.

Some sea otters are either endangered or even extinct. It’s sad.

 Sea otters eat sea urchins, clams, mussels, and crabs. These animals are very hungry; they eat about 25% of their body weight every day! They use their whiskers to find small creatures and use their paws to dig for clams.

  There are many types of otters around the world. Some common types are sea otters, giant otters, river otters, European otters, and many more.

Also I learned that almost 90% of otters live on the coast of Alaska. There are also some sea otters that live in rivers.

Sea otters can hold their breath for 5 minutes and river otters can hold their breath for 8 minutes! My research said that sea otters can live their whole life in water.

In my opinion sea otters are the cutest sea animal. They are very soft and furry. They also like to play and sleep very cutely. I wish that sea otters would not be endangered.

Comments

Popular Posts

Ice skating - Michelle Kwan

Chinese New Year